amazon housewares

03 September 2014

Canning - Version 1.0

This weekend was a "labor of love" weekend in my home.

I remember watching my grandmother make jams, jellies, pie filling, and assorted vegetables during the summer.  Having fruits and vegetables from our garden or local farms year-round was perfectly normal.  Once I was on my own, convenience food became more common than fresh food.  A couple of years ago, I decided that fresh (or at least less-processed) food would be a step on my path to trying to be healthier.

Going through various cooking magazines, cookbooks, and family recipe books, I found many references to home canned food.  A long chat with my grandmother set something in motion in the back of my head.  I found myself drawn to the canning supplies at various stores.  By the end of the year, I had purchased two canning recipe books, jars of various sizes, and other supplies. I waited for the summer farmer's markets in the area to start up. Reading and re-reading the recipes became my favorite summer pastime.

This weekend, it all came together.  I canned!

4 oz jars of sugar-free strawberry jam
and 2 pints of rhubarb juice concentrate


Happiness is hearing that *ping*


Labeled and ready to share

Opening the first jar of *my* jam was a bit of heaven.  It made the best PB&J I have ever had. The rhubarb juice has been added to sparkling water, diet ginger ale, and iced tea. If you love rhubarb the way I do, it is a must-try! It will be guest starring with Prosecco for an lovely spritzer this weekend, if I have my way.

I see many more canning adventures in my future.
After I finish my rhubarb tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment